Saturday, March 15, 2014

Whatever You Are, Be a Good One.


I once had a teacher who said that she was sad and unhappy with her career choice because if she would have chosen to become a doctor instead of being an economics teacher, she would be saving lives daily. I told her that there are a lot of amazing doctors out there but we really needed an amazing teacher like her. The truth is that she actually made an impact on a lot of her students' lives because she was extremely kind and caring and was always encouraging others. 

It doesn't matter if you are a doctor, a teacher, a mother, a daughter, an uncle, a pizza-delivery man, a salesperson, or a janitor. Whatever you are, be a good one. Whether your vocation is to get married or enter the religious life or be single, you should strive to be the best person you can be every day. If you are a student, your vocation at the moment is to be a good student. If you struggle with studying or doing assignments, it's a good idea to offer them up to Christ. Tell him: "Since you died for me, I'm going to rock these next 20 pages of Aristotle!" You can offer each page you do as a prayer. You can offer Him every hamburger you cook or every hole that you dig as a prayer. You can do that with whatever you are doing such as your job, driving, cooking, doing laundry, or whatever you think is unpleasant or a hassle to do. 

I work at a hamburger restaurant on the weekends, and the main cook is such an incredible person because He tries to be the best hamburger cook he can be in the world. He comes to work with a smile  and puts all his energy into what he is doing. He has accepted the fact that this is the job that God wants him to do, so he wants to do it to the best of his abilities. I think we should all strive to be like him. Imagine waking up each day and doing whatever it is we have to do with joy and purpose. We could change the way everyone does things and slowly change the world!

We are all God's children, so we should strive to be good ones. Our main goal in life should be to get to heaven, and nothing else. Getting to heaven is more important than any test, any job offer, any trip, or opportunity. If anything we do contradicts what we believe in, we should put aside, for that takes away our goodness.

That teacher that I had was better than any Doctor that I have ever met, and it is such a shame that she never realized that. That is why I believe we should fill up everyone around us with words of affirmation. You have no idea how much a little pick-me-up can mean to someone. It can help them figure out that they are doing alright, that they should keep on going and that whatever they are doing  is a light to the world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 11 of Lent

  • Live for others Jar- Daniela. I had speech class with her sophomore year of high school. She was really sweet and a good friend. She moved to Houston, Puerto Rico, and is now ding her last year of high school in California. I messaged her on facebook to ask how she was doing and she was glad to hear from me and told me that these past two years have actually been extremely hard for her because she feel like she doesn't fit in with anyone and she just doesn't have many friends. I was really glad I got her name because I got to pray for her and do everything for her today. She will be moving to Mexico next year, so I wish her luck on all her endeavors.
  • 'Good Deed a Day'- I visited my friend who just had surgery at her house and brought her a little stuffed angel and a card.
  • Positive experience of the day- I worked for 12 hours at the restaurant and I met some pretty cool people. A guy asked if he could sit next to me while I was on break. I said sure! He talked about how he wanted to become a Christian rapper because he wanted to be  positive influence on the youth of today. He asked me if I was religious, and when I said I was Catholic, he asked me if I could explain to him our beliefs on the Eucharist and on 'worshiping' Mary and the Saints. I explained to him that we believed that the bread literally becomes the body of Jesus and so does the wine, and also explained how we don't worship Mary or the saints, but how we venerate them and look up to them for guidance in our lives. He said.. "Oh that's nice to know. I don't believe that, but I get your point of view." It was really nice to be able to have a civil conversation like that. He was a really nice guy. 
  • 3 things I am grateful for-
          1. Kind people
          2. The business is doing better.
          3. Good Books.
  • Prayer intentions- My friend Daniela, those who are unhappy, those who have lost a loved one recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment